Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wintertime prep

Buying the Argosy meant there is a lot more stuff to take care of than the T@B. One big example: I need to really winterize the trailer.

Sure, I had to winterize the T@B last year. But all that required was pumping some vodka through the water pump into the sink, removing all of the water. (This year, the water pump died in the T@B, so winterizing that was done by replacing it with a pump from eBay. Ugh.)

It's not the same with the Argosy. There is a six gallon hot water tank, two waste tanks, the fresh water tank up front, and lots of plumbing all connecting it.

But at least it meant I got to buy a new toy:

We went to Sears Columbus Day weekend and picked up a small compressor that was on-sale. It's more than big enough for what I would do, and it had a big enough tank and enough power to blow the water out of the trailer's lines.



We went to a local RV shop and found a nice brass blow-out fitting. Screw it onto the "city" water hook-up, pump air into the system, then go inside and open a valve.

That takes a while when you consider all of the various water valves and faucets and the hot water heater.

Then I pumped RV antifreeze into it all.

Success!

This process wasn't that bad. It took about 45 minutes in all, spending probably 10 pressurizations for the hot water heater, and then draining the water from the sink faucet in the kitchen and bathroom and the showerhead. I also drained the fresh water tank through its own drain valve.

Hopefully we'll survive the winter without any leaks in the plumbing. (We know we have a little leak in the ceiling over the galley...)

No comments:

Post a Comment