Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Modification: Under the bench storage

Dear T@B designers and builders:

Thank you for building my trailer in August 2006. You seemed to have done a pretty good job. But I have to ask you this: could you have maybe, just maybe, have run the wiring under the streetside bench better?

I know that copper wiring costs a lot. And the shortest distance between two points is indeed a straight line. But if you had run the wire along the bench, using maybe another foot of wire, you would have left a free space for storage. That would be nice in this little trailer. Instead, the wiring is nearly as tight as a banjo string and runs right across the middle of this cabinet.



Sure, I know you tried to keep me out of this bench. The top was screwed shut, and there is a warning label about putting flammable objects in that space (bah!), since the electrical panels and 110 AC to 12-volt converter is there. But really - you couldn't package this more efficiently? (I get the feeling the German-built T@Bs don't have this; wasting that space would be verboten. After all, they would put an iDrive controller or something like that there.)



But that's OK. Doing this made me feel all handy and stuff. First I cut off 2 inches of the plywood top and screwed that in place against the wall. That gives a mounting point for a piano hinge. This gives me access into the cabinet. (I did the same on the other side.)

Then I screwed in some wood to form a bracket for a small tool box. I put some wire loom around the electrical wires, cleaning things up and protecting the wires. Finally, I found a small basket to screw to the forward edge, giving room for more tools.



Still not all that efficient of a use of space, but I'll take it. (Don't get me started on the furnace routing....)

Truly yours (until I find the Trailmanor or Airstream of my dreams),
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment